General Information

The Running Springs Water District is a local public agency charged under the laws of the United States of America and the State of California, as well as our own District policies and regulations, with the duty of supplying and maintaining water service, providing fire and emergency medical care services and operating wastewater collection and treatment facilities for the residents, users and taxpayers of this area.

The District is an independent special district that was formed in March 1958. “Special District” can be defined as a legally constituted governmental entity which is neither city nor county, and is established for the purpose of providing specific services within a specific boundary.

The District is governed by a five member Board of Directors, elected at large by voters registered to vote within the boundaries of the District.  Board elections take place during even numbered years with Board Member positions up for election during 2018, 2020, 2022, etc.

Board members are responsible for the overall governance of the District, acting as a whole, consistent with adopted District by-laws, and in accordance with County Water District Law, which is contained in Division 12 of the California Water Code, Sections 30000 – 33250.

The District Board meets once a month, on the third Wednesday of the month. The public is encouraged to attend these meetings. Click Here for details on up-and-coming meetings.

Election Procedures & Deadlines

The Running Springs Water District is governed by a five-person Board of Directors, each member of which must be a resident of the District. Members of the board are elected by residents of the District. The next election will be held in 2018 at which time this website will be updated with deadline information.

A Notice of District Election is sent from the San Bernardino County Elections office. Anyone seeking office of a Board member may go to the elections office website and take advantage of the candidate application process. There, a candidate may complete their candidate information page and, if desired, input their candidate statement.

Current law requires all candidates to file a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700) with the county elections office where they file their declaration of candidacy. These forms can be found on the FPPC website and are due no later than the final filing date for the declaration of candidacy.

Qualifications of a nominee and of an elective officer of the district:

Resident elector must reside within the District boundaries.


The term of each Board member (other than a member appointed to fill a vacancy) is four years.


Vacancies in the office of director are filled as provided by law. The pertinent code sections provide that the remaining Board members may fill the vacancy by appointment or by calling an election to fill the vacancy. Either action must be taken within 60 days of the vacancy. If the Board fails to act on this matter within 60 days of the vacancy, then the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors may fill the vacancy within 90 days of the vacancy or order the district to call an election to fill the vacancy. If the Board of Supervisors fails to act, an election becomes mandatory.

Before making an appointment, a notice of vacancy must be posted in three or more conspicuous places in the District at least 15 days before the appointment is made. Persons appointed to fill a vacancy hold office until the next general district election and thereafter until the person elected at such election to fill the vacancy has been qualified. Persons elected to fill a vacancy hold office for the unexpired balance of the term of office.

Important Contact Information

San Bernardino County Election Office

Secretary of State
Elections Division: 1-916-657-2166
Elections Fax: 1-916-653-3214

Fair Political Practices Commission
Technical Assistance Division: 1-866-ASK-FPPC or 1-916-322-5660
Fax 1-916-322-0886
Enforcement Complaints: 1-800-561-1861

California Code

Department of Transportation
General Information: 1-916-651-9327
(Temporary Political Signs)